The Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation along with other disability policy organizations has long advocated for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to update the existing National Coverage Determination (NCD) for Power Seat Elevation.
On February 15, 2023, CMS proposed to cover, for the first time ever, seat elevation systems in group 3 power wheelchairs as a Medicare benefit. This is a major victory for the Reeve Foundation’s community, and we are so thankful to each one of our advocates who told their story and commented back in August 2022.
It is now imperative that wheelchair users and people impacted by paralysis tell CMS they strongly support this coverage and urge CMS to go even further to ensure that all those who need access to these systems can get it. The seat elevation systems in group 3 power wheelchairs are vital for users to be able to:
- Safely transfer from a wheelchair to another surface, particularly if it is not level with one’s chair.
- Increase one’s reach to access higher surfaces across the home.
- Prevent and reduce stress injuries from repetitive transfers and reaching.
- Function independently at home as much as possible.
- CMS is currently accepting public comments on whether to finalize its proposed decision through Friday March 17, 2023.
- Please note the agency is considering additional comments about power standing systems at a later date.
Read full article and submit your comments here:
Disclaimer: Content on our site is provided for information purposes only; therefore, this material is not intended to advise. This information includes a link to a site that is maintained by another; MS Monterey is not responsible for content on this site. Please remember to consult with your doctor or health care provider before making any changes to your medication(s) or medical regimen.